ITI does not provide a list of ‘approved’ CPD activities, and many different options are available, many of which can be pursued online, without even leaving your desk.
Nevertheless, the following activities are recommended:
- Courses and conferences organised by ITI, its Networks or Regional Groups
- In-house training for staff translators Visits to specialist libraries, technical installations.
- Reading specialist publications, learned journals and other literature in your specialist subject(s)
- Attending conferences, lectures, webinars or workshops organised by other professional bodies, in your area of specialisation (medical, legal, technical etc.)
- Courses organised by universities, including distance-learning courses; adult education classes organised by local authorities or other training providers
- On-line tutorials and e-learning
- Research work, e.g. MA thesis
- Preparing and delivering lectures, presentations, seminars or workshops.
- Writing articles, dictionary or website reviews.
- Committee work in ITI or other professional bodies.
There are six key areas in which translators and interpreters might pursue CPD:
Language Skills | Translation Skills | Interpreting Skills | Subject Knowledge | Business Skills | Professional Contribution