Move your freelance career to the next level
Benefit from the knowledge and insights of four renowned industry leaders on this group-mentored, online course.
The Advancing your Freelance Translation Career online course is aimed at translators who have been freelancing for a while and now want to focus on finding premium work with high-quality agencies and direct clients.
You will learn:
- How to identify your strengths and differences to give you a competitive advantage
- Ways to define and approach your ideal clients to win new business
- How to fine tune your sales techniques so you gain more of the work you want
- New ways to build and maintain customer relationships so you’re working smarter, not harder
Having learnt the theory from the experts, you will then go on to test your ability in a live situation, with the opportunity to pitch to a client.
"I took the ITI AFT course hoping to learn how to boost my business. I certainly came to the right place! Overall, the course equips you with all the right tools to grow your business. Highly recommended!"
Learn from leading practitioners
The four course tutors are all leaders in their field so they understand the market you operate in. Each tutor will:
- Introduce and explain their topic and answer your questions
- Set an assignment which they will review individually
- Provide one-to-one feedback on your assignment during the discussion session
Networking and support
In addition to feedback from tutors, you will also benefit from peer-to-peer learning from the other students on the course and become part of the supportive community of current and past AFT students.
Highlighting your difference
- How to think of yourself as a customer
- Defining your services
- Contributing value and solving customers' problems
- Thinking of yourself as an entrepreneur
- Your strengths and weaknesses
- Finding your competitive advantage
Tutor: Judy Jenner
Date and time: Friday 8 January 2021 4pm and Friday 15 January 2021 4pm (GMT)
Finding and working with your ideal clients
Learn how to:
- Analyse your current client base
- Define your ideal client and creating a customer avatar
- Find your ideal clients
- Develop a mutually beneficial relationship
- Use your current client base for referrals and recommendations
- Create a customer database with valuable information
- Follow up regularly, asking for feedback, and grow your business
Tutor: Tess Whitty
Date and time: Friday 22 January 2021 4pm and Friday 29 January 2021 4pm (GMT)
Using sales to win the customer you want
Learn how to:
- Ask and answer the right questions
- Adopt sales techniques that work for you
- Win the type of clients and work you want
- Win more work from existing clients
- Create an international online presence
Tutor: Doug Lawrence
Date and time: Friday 5 February 2021 2pm and Friday 12 February 2021 2pm (GMT)
Building and maintaining customer relationships
- Busting myths about business networking
- What networking is and is not
- Basic networking tools
- Networking events
- A system for managing your contacts
- Nurturing relationships with current clients
Tutor: Sara Freitas
Date and time: Friday 26 February 2021 1pm and Friday 5 March 2021 1pm (GMT)
Put into practice all you have learnt in a 'live' pitch.
Sell yourself and your business using the skills you have mastered in the previous sessions.
Your 'client' will be a small business owner who is experienced in pitching her own business. She will provide feedback on your presentation and how can improve further.
Date and time: Friday 12 March 2021, 12pm (GMT)
How do I apply?
The next AFT course starts in 2022 and the application period hasn't started yet.
The cost of the course is £299 for ITI members and £399 for non-members.