Yorkshire Network: Humanitarian translation workshop
The YTI is delighted to host this year's joint translation workshop with the NE Network. The topic will be Humanitarian Translation. Many of us have dipped our toe into this field of translation by volunteering or participating in pro bono projects, but we will take this opportunity to take a more in-depth look into it.
We will repeat the hybrid format of last year's edition. There will be a 10-day group preparation phase online, followed by an in-person plenary.
We hope to form a group for each registered language pair, but cannot make any guarantees. We encourage you to invite colleagues working in your language pair to attend in order to make sure there are enough participants to create a group. Linguists who are not members of either the YTI or the NE Network are welcome to participate.
We would also like participants to provide source language texts for the workshop – particularly if your source language is not among the most common ones. We will accept texts until the 10th of November.
This hybrid workshop consists of two parts:
13th to 24th November, online:
- 13th November, 7 pm: Workshop launch online via Zoom, including a talk by Josephina Worrall, who will provide insights based on her translation work for NGOs in the field of women's health and global health. This presentation will be recorded.
- 13th to 24th November: Preparation and discussion period within each language group via Slack.
25th November, 1 pm to 5pm, Friargate Quaker Meeting House, York (accessible venue):
- 1 pm: Lunch (provided by the venue)
- 2:15 - 3:15 pm: Language group discussion
- 3:15 - 3:30 pm: Tea break
- 3:30 - 5 pm: Plenary session, where language groups will share what they learnt. Please note that it won't be possible to access the plenary via Zoom and that it won't be recorded.
We look forward to seeing you at the workshop!
ITI Network member fee: £15
ITI member fee: £15
Non-member fee: £20
Location: Friargate Quaker Meeting House, York
Contact name: Marina Torruella Bonsoms
Contact email: [email protected]
Closing date: 06 November 2023
Registrations will close on the 6th November. Please note reimbursements are only possible up to one week before the start date of the workshop. After that day, we will be unable to issue any refunds.